I know I have been MIA from blogging and keeping up with posts, but I am back, I have been so busy and so overwhelmed with doing other stuff, I kinda put this on the shelf for a while, but not anymore!!
So I am back home, thinking of what to make for dinner, so naturally I go on pinterest look up recipes and check my fridge and see what I can make, and the ham and bean soup looks really good and is super easy to make 🙂
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound dried white beans picked over and soaked over night in water
- 1 ham bone (or 2 ham hocks)
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced (omit if you are using ham hocks)
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onion, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, white beans and ham bone, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer, covered, until the beans are tender, about 1-2 hours.
- Remove the bone or ham hocks and if you are using the ham hocks, strip the meat from them and dice or shred it.
- Optionally puree some or all of the soup with a blender, add the ham and season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
add any vegetable you’d like sour cream is a perfect garnish for ham and bean soup along with some bread to mop up every last drop